Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Wait? What? Damage to DNA?!?

What was under my sink...
After finishing Kristi Marsh's book Little Changes, the first thing I decided to tackle was our cleaning products.  One evening (a work night at 10 pm, of course!), I dragged everything out from under the kitchen sink and started typing the name of each product into the Environmental Working Group's Guide to Healthy Cleaning.

I was not surprised that some of the products were not healthy.  However, what drove me to a blind rage was several cleaners that were "98% plant derived" and were rated as C, D or even F by EWG.  WTH?!?  How is this possible? 
These products are being marketed as better for you and/or the environment yet they contain chemicals that are known carcinogens, that have reproductive effects and that cause DAMAGE TO DNA.  Ignorant me, I didn't even know this was possible.  My poor husband was treated to a diatribe directed at the companies that produce and market these products.

Again, using my trusty EWG guide, I looked up better alternatives.  My general criteria was:
  • "A" rating
  • very few ingredients, all pronounceable if possible
  • no carcinogens - once bitten, twice shy (this was not completely attainable)
  • and cheap - duh!
I managed to replace everything under the kitchen sink and our laundry detergent for under $40.  I bought everything at Drugstore.com but much of it is available on Amazon.com, Soap.com, etc.  I have been happy with the products and have ordered more when we have run out.  My husband is on board too.

Here's what's under our sink now:

  • Bon ami Powder Cleanser - $2.99/14 ounces, best uses are sinks and tubs, EWG rating = A
  • Earth Friendly Products Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Natural Cedar - $4.49/24 fl oz, um...it's for cleaning your toilet, EWG rating = A
  • Ecover Ecological Cream Scrub - $3.39/16 fl oz, great for counter tops, tub, sinks and tile, EWG rating = A (This is something you can also make for yourself - check out: Women's Voices for the Earth.  Clearly I did not do this.  I mean this page isn't called "opened minded environmentalism", now is it?)
  • Martha Stewart Clean Wood Floor Cleaner - $9.99/35 fl oz, you guessed it - it's for cleaning wood floors!, EWG rating =A
  • Planet Ultra Dishwashing Liquid, Hypo-Allergenic - $3.99/25 fl oz, dish soap for handwashing, EWG rating = A
  • Planet 2x Ultra Laundry Detergent, 32 Loads - $9.34/50 fl oz, now truth be told this had more sketchy chemicals in it than I am totally comfortable with but cheapness and pragmatism won out, and it gets our kids clothes clean, EWG rating = A
  • Seventh Generation Natural Tub & Tile Cleaner, Emerald Cypress & Fir Scent - $4.99/32 fl oz, OK this is kind of redundant if you have the Ecover and the Bon ami but sometimes you just want to be able to spray something OK? Jeesh!,  EWG rating = A
  • Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Detergent Concentrated Pacs, Free & Clear - $5.19/20 pacs, I kind of love these - it seemed like our dishwasher wasn't working well any more and when we switched to these everything came out clean and the glasses no longer had that weird "etching", EWG rating = A
  • Window/glass cleaner - I made my own (thanks to Women's Voices for the Earth).  It's one part vinegar and one part water.  It was exhausting.
Now, you may be scratching your head wondering "why not buy all of the products in one product line?"  Oh dear heart, if it were only that easy.  Sadly, many companies don't rate "A's" all across the board and/or their product reviews by actual consumers are terrible.  I promise this process is only a tiny bit painful and once you buy it once, it's easy to restock.  Happy cleaning and if you want to try any of this out feel free to come over and clean my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment